Sunday, April 17, 2011

Along came Julia

Though my Childhood was carefree
and I look back on so many cherished Memories,
one Thing that always had brought me much Trouble, mostly with myself, was my red hair.
As a Fact, I've hated my Haircolor for many years, throughout my whole Schooltime.

Eventhough there were many beloved Story Characters who styled a ' Carrot Top ', it was not meant to connect with me. Pippi Longstocking, the superstrong girl who fought Pirates and lived in a big House all by herself, the Pumuckl was a redhaired Cartoon Elf from an 80's childrens TV-Show who lived with an elderly Carpenter, the red Zora was a flame - haired Gypsy girl who was the Leader of a Gang of Boys ...ect.
All these Shows were watched, but nothing really touched me in a Sense that I could identify myself with it.
Being a Redhead was difficult, challenging at at some points even hurtful.
As a Child I've heard many Nicknames, from Spaghetti over Copperhead and Duracel to... well, the not so 'nice' ones. As I grew older and began to have a more sense of Fashion for myself  I had to hit another Brickwall.  - A 13-year old redhaired Girl and NEON Colors just don't mix too well !!  Neon Pink, Green, Yellow and Orange were IN and little me with my 'Natural Colors' was way OUT. Which Teenage girl in the early 90's liked Brown, Beige, Olive, ect... . Well, I did not !!
Anyways, as a Teenager with red Hair I was never too high on Selfesteem, more the Opposite was the case.
And I remember how I went to a Store to get Hairdye, I tried to dye my Hair brown. So yes, Brown was the chosen color and I did everything as directed on the Package. But something went wrong, because I ended up with green Hair, well more Red with a greenish Hint to it! NICE !! As smart Move could have been to join the Gothic and Punk Societies with such a Mane... but no, I went to School and tried to ignore all dumb remarks.

Until one fine Evening, it must have been a Weekend, when my Mother brought me to the Movie Theater.
The Movie ? Pretty Woman !! I was so amazed when I saw the Wig Julia Roberts wore in the Beginning of the Movie laying on the Ground/Pillow... thinking, she must have beautiful brown or even black Hair now... BUT NO,  " they're RED. " she replied to Richard Gere. RED,woah ... I was psyched !! Okay, as we all know today this Movie became a BOXOFFICE HIT and catapulted Julia Roberts instantly to the Top of Superstardom.
Not only that, it seemed to have changed Fashion aswell, because all of a sudden I saw Women who dyed their Hair red, all Shades of it... the redder the better it seemed.

Suddenly, thanks to a 'Pretty Woman', RED was beautiful,
and I had it naturally !  :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca,I do love your hair, it's beautiful.
    I guess it's one of the Lessons in Life we all have to learn. ...And what's wrong with weird ?

    ReplyDelete